Students across Sampson County will return to the classroom in less than three weeks. Officials with both school systems are trying to make that experience an easier transition by hosting an open house the week before school begins.
Both Sampson County Schools (SCS) and Clinton City Schools (CCS) are looking forward to their buildings being filled with students and parents for open house events, which are mostly scheduled for Aug. 25. CCS open houses are from 4-7 p.m. The first day of school for CCS and SCS is Monday, Aug. 29.
“I think it’s very beneficial for students as they transition from one school building to another,” said CCS Superintendent Dr. Stuart Blount. “It allows them to become a little familiar with the school, names and faces.”
Blount is looking forward to the upcoming school year.
“We’re excited about what they’re going to bring to our school system and for teachers and students returning and another great year.”
Faith Jackson, CCS community liaison and grant writer, said the open house schedule for all schools in the city system is set for 4 to 7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 25. Along with meeting teachers, Jackson said parents may receive a schools supplies list, which is also available at Walmart.
“They can be better prepared for the first day,” Jackson said about open house.
Susan Warren, SCS public relations and student services coordinator, said the county school system is looking forward to a good school year as well.
“We are looking forward to a successful opening of school for 2017,” Warren shared. “We encourage all parents and students to come out and participate in the various open houses that are going on throughout the school system. This is a great time for students to get their schedule and get acclimated to their school in preparation for the 2017 school year.”
Open House — Sampson County Schools — Thursday, Aug. 25
• Hargrove Elementary — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Hobbton Elementary — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Hobbton Middle — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Hobbton High— Freshman Orientation — 8 a.m. to 1 p.m., lunch provided
• Salemburg Elementary — 3 to 6 p.m.
• Roseboro Elementary — 4 to 7 p.m. (5th grade orientation is Aug. 23 at 6 p.m.)
• Roseboro Salemburg Middle — 4 to 7 p.m. (Aug. 24- 6th Grade Orientation 6 to 8 p.m.)
• Lakewood High — 5 to 7 p.m. (Aug. 25- Freshman Orientation 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. lunch provided)
• Clement Elementary — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Midway Elementary — 4 to 6:30 p.m.
• Plain View Elementary — 5:30 to 7:30 p.m.
• Midway Middle — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Midway High — 4 to 7 p.m. (Aug. 24- Freshman Orientation 8 to 3 p.m. lunch provided)
• Union Elementary — 4 to 7 p.m.
• Union Intermediate — 4 to 6:30 p.m.
• Union Middle — 5:30 to 7:30 p.m
• Union High — 5 to7 p.m. (Aug. 24- Freshman Open House, 5 to 7 p.m.)
Information regarding the new school year will be featured on the districts’ websites, www.sampson.k12.nc.us; and www.clinton.k12.nc.us.
Reach Kristy D. Carter at 910-592-8137, ext. 2588. Follow us on Twitter at @SampsonInd. Like us on Facebook.