County OKs project bids for airport, I-40 water line


By Chris Berendt - [email protected]



On the recommendation of Matthew West of Dewberry Engineers Inc., the Sampson Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a $325,645 bid for construction of a water line from Burch Road to the new water tank site on I-40.


Two projects — one at airport, another at I-40 in northern Sampson — are poised to move further along with bid approvals earlier this week by the Sampson County Board of Commissioners.

The board unanimously approved a bid for construction of a water line from Burch Road to the new water tank site on I-40. In April, the board gave the green light to a bid by Caldwell Tanks, Inc. in the amount of $1,357,054 for the elevated tank. Matthew West of Dewberry Engineers Inc. returned to the board this week for the next step.

“The other part of that project was the water main that will connect the existing water system to the tank,” said West. “The water line will run from the intersection of Burch Road and N.C. 403 to the east side of I-40 at the tank site, approximately 6,200 feet of 12-inch water main.”

The tank, which is currently under construction, is required to provide fire protection storage and water service for the Enviva Pellets Sampson LLC site and will enable future development at the I-40/N.C. 403 interchange. Six bids were received during a recent bid opening. Dewberry reviewed the bids and found all to be responsive, recommending low bidder Herring-Rivenbark Inc. of Kinston in the amount of $325,645.

Commissioners concurred at their meeting.

The overall project is being funded by the Golden Leaf Foundation, the N.C. Department of Commerce Rural Economic Development Division, and the NC Department of Commerce Small Cities Community Development Block Grant-Economic Development (CDBG-ED). The total funding from those three sources is $1,706,500. The county added $39,000 in taxpayer dollars.

“With the award of this project and the previous award of the tank, approximately $23,800 still remains in contingency for the project to cover any incidentals for the remainder of the project to bring it to completion,” said West.

In a separate project, commissioners signed off on Wells Brothers Construction’s bid of $285,035 to construct an access road that will provide a path to the other side of the airport at the end of the runway. The existing road is washed out and the project honors an easement agreement granted to an adjacent owner.

Five bids were received and the Airport Authority recommended lowest bidder Wells Construction. The Clinton City Council voted to accept that bid last week, and the county followed suit this week. The cost is funded at 90 percent by a Division of Aviation grant, with the remaining 10 percent split between the city and county, which will utilize funds previously reserved for airport capital projects.

Reach staff writer Chris Berendt at 910-249-4616. Follow the paper on twitter @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.

By Chris Berendt

[email protected]

On the recommendation of Matthew West of Dewberry Engineers Inc., the Sampson Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a $325,645 bid for construction of a water line from Burch Road to the new water tank site on I-40.
http://clintonnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/web1_water-line.jpgOn the recommendation of Matthew West of Dewberry Engineers Inc., the Sampson Board of Commissioners unanimously approved a $325,645 bid for construction of a water line from Burch Road to the new water tank site on I-40.

Reach staff writer Chris Berendt at 910-249-4616. Follow the paper on twitter @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.

comments powered by Disqus