Police: Probe ongoing


Weekend shootings, stabbing under investigation

By Chris Berendt - [email protected]



Police are investigation two incidents that happened within about six hours this past weekend, one in which a person was shot and another person stabbed on Butler Avenue Saturday afternoon, and a separate incident later that evening in which two men were shot on Lisbon Street. The cases are under investigation.

At approximately 12:52 p.m. Saturday, Clinton Police uniform patrol officers responded to a disturbance at 300 East Butler Ave. in Clinton. Upon arrival officers found two subjects injured, one stabbed and one shot.

“Arrests are forthcoming for this crime,” department officials said Sunday morning.

Tyrone Mecell Chevallier, 36, of Stetson Street, had stab wounds to the upper torso and was transported to Sampson Regional Medical Center, treated and released. Priscilla Ann Washington, 38, of Cranberry Lane, Clinton, had gunshot wounds to the abdomen and was taken to Sampson Regional Medical Center and then transferred to Wake Medical for surgery.

Her condition was not readily available Monday.

Investigators from the CPD Neighborhood Improvement Team are conducting the investigation. The suspect firearm was recovered at the scene and the motive for the assaults is unclear at this time, authorities said.

However, Washington is the mother of Scileek Phugwan Washington, 19, reportedly of the same Cranberry Lane address. He was arrested last week in the shooting death of Benjamin Cunningham, found unresponsive the evening of Sept. 16 in his West Morisey Boulevard yard, the victim of a single gunshot wound.

Chevallier’s brother Jonathan “Jon-Jon” Raynor was shot multiple times during a separate dispute at a home on Ferrell Street last month, an incident that is still under investigation by police. In an interview with The Independent, Chevallier and Raynor’s mother Agnes Chevallier noted that her family was friends with the Cunninghams, and Raynor planned to attend Ben Cunningham’s funeral before he himself was shot and transported to Cape Fear Valley Health, where he is still recuperating.

Anyone with information about this crime is asked to call the Clinton Police at 910-592-3105 or the CPD TIP Line at 910-590-3009. Citizens may also anonymously text information by sending it to 847411 and texting “tipcpd” followed by the information.

Shooting call

Later Saturday, at approximately 7:05 p.m. Clinton Police uniform patrol officers responded to a shooting call in the 800 block of Lisbon Street in Clinton. Upon arrival officers found two subjects inside a gray Nissan vehicle with gunshot wounds.

Tyree Joel Smith, 30, of West Butler Avenue, Clinton, and Gary Tyshon Devan Ashley, 22, of RJ Lane, Clinton, were transported to Sampson Regional Medical Center. Both victims were treated for gunshot wounds to the legs. Ashley was treated and released and Smith was kept for observation.

CPD’s Neighborhood Improvement Team is conducting inquiries into the assault. Investigators believe that the assailant shot into the victim’s vehicle as it was going through Springwood Apartments located off Lisbon Street. The motive for the shooting is unknown at this time.

Clinton Police Chief Jay Tilley said there was no shooting on the Sampson Regional Medical Center campus Saturday night, contrary to some misinformation circulation on social media, perpetuated by a weekly circular and social media outlet. It is standard practice for the hospital to go on “lockdown” in instances where shooting victims are being treated in the emergency room, which was the case in the Lisbon Street incident, he noted.

Sampson Regional Medical Center officials took to social media following the erroneous reports from the weekly publication. Amber Cava, vice president of marketing and community relations at the hospital, was one of them.

“There was not a shooting at Sampson Regional Medical Center last night,” she stated through the hospital’s Facebook page. “We apologize for the concern and scare this story created among our community, employees, patients and all we serve. We take seriously the security and protection of our premises.”

Reached by The Independent early Sunday, Cava said she had not heard anything about a shooting. That came prior to Tilley’s confirmation that there in fact was none.

“We are glad to work with reporters on a professional level to gather the facts and issue official release during situations like this,” Cava stated, “and we regret we did not have that opportunity last night and this morning to do so.”

The post on the weekly circular’s Facebook page was deleted shortly thereafter.

Reach Managing Editor Chris Berendt at 910-249-4616. Follow the paper on twitter @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.

Weekend shootings, stabbing under investigation

By Chris Berendt

[email protected]

http://clintonnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/web1_breaking9.jpg

Reach Managing Editor Chris Berendt at 910-249-4616. Follow the paper on twitter @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.

comments powered by Disqus