One of U Care’s biggest fundraisers is coming soon.
The organization’s Reverse Drawing is schedule for 6:30 p.m. Friday, Feb. 12, at the Sampson Agri-Exposition Center’s Prestage Hall, 414 Warsaw Road, Clinton. Tickets are $100 and comes with a prime rib or chicken dinner for two (dine in only), with dessert. It also includes a cash drawing ticket. Attendees who donate canned goods or toiletries at the door will be entered into a separate drawing for a $100 prize drawing during the event. Reverse Ticket buyers do not have to be present to win. All of the proceeds will benefit the organization’s domestic violence program.
It has been an annual tradition in the area for more than a decade. U Care Director Pamela Gonzalez said the idea began with Brenda Warren who coordinated the style of the event. Gonzalez described it as “reverse bingo.” Tickets are placed on a board and taken down, if the name is called. The top prize is $5,000.
“It has been a success every year,” Gonzalez said.
In the mix of fun, Gonzalez mentioned that the event gives U Care the opportunity to spread awareness about domestic violence, sexual assault and the Beehive thrift store.
“We go other fundraisers coming up and we hope that they’ll eventually get to the magnitude of this one,” Gonzalez said about events such as the basketball tournament and Womanless Beauty Pageant, which features participation from Sampson County Firefighters. “We need the money, but we also need people to know about domestic violence.”
Along with entertainment, the Reverse Drawing will include silent auction items, Penny Social and door prizes. A photographer will be available to take pictures during the night. The photographs will be ready at the event. Sampson Early College High School and Clinton High School will also provide assistance during the event.
For more information regarding the event or ticket purchases, contact Gonzalez at 910-596-0931. U Care, Inc. can be accessed online through Facebook by typing “U Care, Inc.” in the search bar or by visiting www.ucaredv.org.
Cash Reverse Drawing Rules
How Does It Work?
• There will be up to 299 tickets sold
• Tickets are $100 each
• At 7:30 p.m., tickets will be drawn out and announced one at a time.
• The first ticket pulled out will win a sheet of U Care Penny Social tickets.
• Sheets of Penny Social Tickets with 26 chances to win will be sold for $20. The winner will be drawn after 250 tickets are drawn. Winning tickets will be posted.
• Door prizes will be awarded to every 25th ticket holder if present. If absent the door prize goes to the next ticket holder called out in attendance.
• Chances for ticket No. 300 will be sold for $5. It will be put in the cage with the final nine tickets, making the winner part of the final 10.
• The last five ticket holders will be called to the front. They may split if there’s a unanimous decision. If not, the drawing will continue, but at anytime after, they may split if agreed. If a ticket buyer is absent, the ticket stub will speak for the buyer if it’s noted on the stub. If it’s not noted, the decision to split will be up to the remaining participants.
Reach Chase Jordan at 910-249-4617. Follow us on Twitter at @SampsonInd and like us on Facebook.