As fall moves along and we wonder where the year has gone, I thought it might be a good time to highlight the many events and activities being offered through Extension in Sampson County. As you read this, many of our youth will have entered their prized recipes and baked and canned goods at the State Fair, or shown and sold their well fitted and fed livestock at the junior shows. But, there is much more to do before fall gets away!
Looking ahead, you may want to join us for one or more of the following upcoming Extension events:
• Animal Waste Operator Continuing Education – offered for local swine producers to maintain their certification as good stewards of the environment. To be held Oct. 29 at the Sampson County Livestock Facility.
• Beekeepers meetings – held every second Thursday evening of each month at the Sampson County Extension Center. Education and networking for local beekeepers to share and learn.
• Cattlemen’s meetings – also held on second Thursday evening at the Sampson County Livestock Facility. Educational and networking for local cattle producers.
• Halloween on the Square – 4-H will be participating in this “trunk or treat” event to celebrate with youth in our community.
• Beef Quality Assurance training – To be held at the Sampson County Livestock Facility on November 3rd. For beef producers to become certified in producing the highest quality beef that is safe and nutritionally wholesome for the consumer.
• 4-H Achievement Night – To recognize and reward our 4-H youth and adults for their accomplishments throughout the year.
• Annual Eastern Carolina Cattlemen’s Conference – Offered each winter at the Agri-Expo Center by Extension. This conference brings in specialists to share with our cattle producers on a variety of topics. This year we will focus on forage management and rumen microbiology.
Some other dates to note if you are in the cattle business, which will be held at the Sampson County Livestock Facility: EB Harris Cattle Sale on Oct. 24, Down East Angus Sale on Nov. 6, and Southeast Bull Expo and Sale on Nov. 21. These are not Extension events but we do have contact information for anyone interested.
As you can see, Cooperative Extension is busy as ever, serving our youth, families, and farms. Please join us at one or more of these upcoming events, and let us know how we can help you. Please contact the Extension Center at 910-592-7161 or by visiting www.sampson.ces.ncsu.edu for more information on any of the mentioned events, and more!
Eileen Coite is the Director for the Sampson County Cooperative Extension Center.