Last updated: September 14. 2013 2:00AM - 1533 Views
David Johnson Sports Writer

Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

The Hobbton Wildcats and the Union Spartans tangled on the football field Thursday night with the Spartans coming out on top with a 42-7 victory. The score at the half was 7-6, Hobbton.

Wildcat coach Jeff Byrd commented after the game, “It was a tale of two halves. In the first half, I thought we controlled the game. We moved it. After that little break (a lightening alert), I don’t know if they went in and adjusted to it. They beat us up front in the second half on offense. We missed a lot of blocks. You can’t start inside your 10-yard line every time either. In 5 kick-offs we fumbled every one and started inside the 10. We don’t have the type of team that can drive it that far.”

“On defense, I thought we played good. I think we got tired and the young, inexperience came in. I saw some bright spots. I think we have gotten better at some positions but we have a long ways to go,” Coach Byrd continued.

Union coach Doug Burley said, “It was a tough one. They came out well coached and prepared to begin with. We had to make some adjustments. Thanks to that lightening strike we went inside and chewed them out a little bit. They came out ready to play.”

The Spartans got on the board first on a 50 yard run by Desmond Faison early in the game. The point after failed on a run attempt. The Spartans had a 6-0 lead.

The Wildcats turned the ball around and drove 80 yards to score with 6:37 left in the first quarter. With the extra point, the Wildcats had a 7-6 lead which they held until the half. There was a 30 minute lightening delay at the end of the first quarter. Late in the first quarter, the Wildcat defense stopped Union at the 7-yard line on fourth down.

Hobbton had first chance after the half time break. However, they couldn’t do much with the ball and wound up kicking.

Johnnie Knowles got off a long punt, right into the hands of Spartan Shyquan Brunson who weaved his way back and forth across the field returning it 64 yards for a score. Faison ran the extra point attempt to give the Spartans a 14-7 lead.

From there it was all Union. Terrance Parker scored on a 22-yard run with 3:51 left in the third period. The point after kick was wide leaving the score at 20-7.

With 2:07 left it the third, Faison scored on a 39-yard run. With the extra point run, the Spartans had a 28-7 lead.

Early in the fourth quarter, Hagan Thornton scored on a 12-yard run. Isaias Campos kicked the point after for a 35-7 lead.

With 3 minutes left in the game, Brunson scored again on a 45-yard scamper for the final, 42-7.

Marque Surles had 92 yards and one touchdown for the Wildcats.

For the Spartans, Faison led the rushing with 172 yards on 17 attempts. On defense, George Hernandez had 9 tackles, Dustin Alphin had 8, Cory Smith and Dawan Carr each had 7 tackles and Hagan Thornton had 6 tackles.

Next week the Wildcats, 0-3, host Wake Christian Academy. The Spartans travel to Princeton. The Spartans are 1-2 on the season.

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Clinton Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com