Last updated: March 02. 2014 5:47PM - 840 Views
Della King Contributing columnist

(no description)
(no description)
Story Tools:

Font Size:

Social Media:

Last year it was brought to growers’ attention of needing a Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasures (SPCC) Plan. Several questions have been brought to my attention concerning Agriculture and SPCC Plans.

First a SPCC plan will help prevent oil base material spills and prepare you in the event of an accidental spill. Such oil-based materials include diesel, gasoline, hydraulic oil, lube oil, crop oil, etc.

As a grower in the agriculture industry, you need a plan if you store oil materials in above ground quantities greater than 1,320 gallons or completely buried tanks with greater than 42,000 gallons of oil based products.

First you need to determine the oil storage capacity of each above ground tank greater than 55-gallon drums. When determining the capacity, use the maximum volume of each container. In other words, how much oil product can each storage container hold?

Once you have determined the total volume of storage, if your farm has 10,000 gallons or less of above ground storage capacity and you have not had any spills to water in the past 3 years greater than 1,000 gallons in a single spill or 42 gallons each from 2 spills within a 12 month time frame, then your farm qualifies as a Tier II Farm.

If your farm meets the criteria mentioned above and has no aboveground storage containers with a capacity greater than 5,000 gallons, then your farm qualifies as a Tier I Farm.

If you have greater than 10,000 gallons of above ground storage capacity, you will need an Engineer to review and certify your SPCC plan.

For mobile fuel tanks for farms, you would need to have a spill kit available with that transporting vehicle in case of a spill. Ultimately you need to be prepared to take action to contain the spill whether on the farm in a stationary capacity or in a mobile capacity.

I have also received questions concerning containment. One example in permanent setup containment can be achieved by using earth berms made of compacted clay. Sand will not suffice because it allows seepage, where compacted clay does not.

Farmers if you have questions about your SPCC plan or need assistance with developing one, please feel free to contact me. (910) 592-7161

For more information concerning SCCP Plans, please visit the following website


You may also contact Ted Walden, SPCC/FRP Coordinator with EPA at 1-404-562-8752 or by email Walden.ted@epa.gov

(Editor’s Note: Della is an Agriculture Extension Agent with the Sampson County Cooperative Extension Service.)

All user comments are subject to our Terms of Service. Users may flag inappropriate comments.
comments powered by Disqus

Featured Businesses


Info Minute

Gas Prices

Clinton Gas Prices provided by GasBuddy.com